Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hong Kong!

I got off the plane in Hong Kong and after going through customs and all that business I ate at a Subway. I had a  meatball sub and macadamia nut cookies.

I took a cab from the airport to the hotel I was staying at. And I had to lurk outside the door and wait for someone to come along because I didn't know the pin number to get through. I wrote it down.
From here I went up a flight of stairs and found the door to my hotel.

There was a post-it note on the door that had the name of the hotel -English and Chinese- and had a phone number on it. And a wire ran under the door and up the wall nearby to a pink plastic phone. I called the number on the post-it and after confirming my reservation I was given the pin code to get in.

I was in room five, which was on the left-hand side of a long hallway. My bed took up half of the room I had - fine, I didn't intend on spending much time there anyway - and my bathroom took up less space than the desk my computer is sitting on as a write this. It's not even a very large desk.

The bathroom's sink was probably the size of your average mouse pad. And the entire bathroom -was- the shower stall. One of those deals where there was a drain in the floor and the shower spicket on the wall above the toilet and the knobs right by the light switches. and I had made the mistake of assuming that 'hotel' meant that they would have towels. I had to dry off from my one brief shower with my hoodie.

On my second day there I called the number on the post-it again and explained that I need a receipt, or a bill, or some kinda paperwork, to show I was there, and what everything had cost. The man on the phone, who I suspect was in a bar or loud restaurant, told me that he had never done that before, and would not do that for me. I explained that it wasn't my money he was costing me, but a coworker's. And that if I didn't get some kinda bill then this coworker wouldn't get his money back.

I never saw him. Nor did I see any other human beings in the hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment